11,915 people have tested positive, 328 are active patients, 11,496 have recovered and 91 have died.
As a public serviceThe BenitoLink team provides a regular roundup of the latest COVID-19 related data, resources and articles about San Benito County.
Since the first confirmed case in February 2020 (as of 4:34 p.m.) on January 28, 11,915 people have tested positive for the coronavirus in San Benito County. 328 are active patients, 11,496 have recovered, seven are hospitalized and 91 have died, the latest deaths being reported on January 20. For the most up-to-date information, including bi-weekly statistics on variants and the number of people vaccinated, go to San Benito County COVID-19 Dashboard. (The county provides chart reports every Tuesday and Thursday. The dashboard is updated daily.)
Bi-weekly statistics as of January 27th:
The California Department of Health has extended the deadline for healthcare workers to purchase their booster dose from February 1st to March 1st. Further information here.
Where to get tested
Hazel Hawkins Community Health Center Building 2, Suite B, 930 Sunset Drive, Hollister.
Pinnacle Healthcare (including rapid tests) – Open to all residents
Walgreens drives through
Free home care kits are available online at special.usps.com/testkits. Currently limited to one order per household. Each order contains four tests.
San Benito County immunization statistics from the state COVID-19 website as of 11:59 p.m. Jan. 27.
- 107,044 doses were administered.
- 72.8% of eligible individuals are fully vaccinated.
- 8.2% are partially vaccinated.
- 49.8% of eligible individuals received a booster shot.
Percent of San Benito County population by ethnicity with at least one dose.
- American Indian or Alaska Native-0.3 (3.1% of SBC population)
- Asians – 3.7 (3.9% of SBC population)
- Black -0.8 (1.6% of the SBC population)
- Latino 47.6 (60.8% of SBC population)
- Multi-Race -1.1 (3.6% of SBC population)
- Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander -0.4 (0.4% of SBC population)
- White-28 (32.8% of the population)
- Miscellaneous -7.1
- Unknown – 11.1
Percent fully vaccinated per zip code:
- 95023-73.25 (Hollister)
- 95045-67.37 (SJB)
- 95043- 40.6 (Paicines, Panoche Valley and New Idria)
- 95075- 84.58 (Tres Pinos)
- 95004- 71.6 (Flavours. 95004 spans three counties – San Benito, Monterey, and Santa Cruz. The count is for the entire zip code)
Further statistical information on the district’s vaccination progress can be found here here.
State rent subsidy for tenants and landlords. Housing is key
On Jan. 25, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced a framework to extend supplemental paid sick leave during the current surge. See more here.
The state has several hotlines for residents to request suicide prevention, abuse, and mental health:
24-hour Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255 or SMS 838255
24-hour Domestic Violence Helpline: 800-799-7233 or click here chat now
Call 911 if you or the person you are helping is in immediate danger.
The Division of Occupational Safety and Health, better known as Cal/OSHA, helps protect workers from health and safety hazards in almost every workplace in California.
Visit Cal/OSHA for information on safety and health at work.
File A Whistleblower Complaint if you suffer retaliation for reporting a workplace safety hazard
Receive free consulting services by Cal/OSHA.
Contact Cal/OSHA at 844-522-6734.
State and federal elected officials’ COVID-19 websites.
Food Distribution Community Food Bank www.communityfoodbankofsbc.org
Drive-thru service at Marketplace Fridays and Saturdays from 9am to 12pm at 1133 San Felipe Rd. near Hollister. Supplemental food bookings are made by calling 831-637-0340
Food distribution Salvation Army hollister.salvationarmy.org Drive-Thru Service Tuesdays at 11:00 am 910 Buena Vista Rd. Hollister registrations are not required. To arrange delivery, call 310-753-6520.
Unemployment Insurance Benefits Job Development Department apply online at www.edd.ca.gov/ui_online 831-638-3306.
Senior Services Delivery of essential items and groceries City of Hollister and Jovenes de Antano [email protected] 831-636-4390.
Disability Employment Development/Paid Family Leave Department apply online at www.edd.ca.gov/sdi_online 831-638-3306.
United Way of San Benito County 2-1-1 Text your zip code to 831-898-211 or call 211. Text COVID2019 to 211211
Tips to avoid COVID-19
- Get vaccinated and refreshed.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water aren’t available.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.
- Maintain a physical distance of at least two meters from others.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Avoid indoor public spaces.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a protective covering when you are indoors with the public.
- Disinfect frequently touched objects.
BenitoLink is a nonprofit news website covering San Benito County. Our team works 24/7 during this time when accurate information is essential. Local news is expensive to produce, and community support keeps the news moving. Please consider supporting BenitoLink, the news of San Benito County.